A family endured a triple tragedy when a young dad was found dead just days after his stepsister – whose own sister had died while pregnant three years before.

David Llewellyn, known as Dai, died 17 days after his step-sister Jessica Cowdery, an inquest heard.

Consecutive inquests on Wednesday heard that mum Jessica died after taking prescription medication little more than two weeks before her stepbrother Dai Llewellyn died of natural causes in Bridgend, reports WalesOnline .

Their deaths came after Jessica's sister Amy died of natural causes more than three years ago aged just 26 and when she was three and a half months pregnant.

Pontypridd Coroner’s Court heard dental nurse Jessica died aged 26 on November 22 last year.

In a statement read to the court mother Elaine Llewellyn said her daughter started having “mood swings” from eight years of age.

She said: “She was a happy child. A bright girl. She did well at school.

“She was quite a sensitive person. If she brought something home from school I would have to go overboard.

“When she was about eight years old I notice she would have mood swings. I didn’t think much of it.

“Her mood swings only seemed to occur with family members.”

She was later diagnosed with type-two bipolar disorder and had previously taken overdoses of prescription medication and attended Alcoholics Anonymous.

In 2017, the inquest was told, Jessica took an overdose of prescription drugs which was put down as a “mistake” and later took another overdose which left her on life support for five days.

In July last year Mrs Llewellyn took her daughter to the GP as she was concerned for her health and worried that “no-one was helping her”.

Mrs Llewellyn said: “Jessica did not cope well with the loss [of Amy]. She had a special bond with her.

“She would drink heavily. She was found at her grave sat with a load of cans with her.”


In the months before her death Ms Cowdery was seeing her son twice a week and Mrs Llewellyn said her daughter was “lonely” and missed having her son living with her at her home in Bridgend.

On the day of her death Ms Cowdery sent a friend images of empty medication packets and pills prompting another friend to visit her home.

Coroner Andrew Barkley said: “Despite efforts to get to her quickly by the time help arrived she was deceased.

“It’s clear she did have difficulties – there’s little doubt about that.

“She had considerable input from the mental health team. It seems the help she had at that point was appropriate.”

He added: “What is absolutely clear is there is a history [of mental health issues] that goes back many years.

“The precise circumstances one can never understand.”

A post-mortem examination concluded Ms Cowdery died from poisoning due to propranolol, a beta-blocker medication used for anxiety symptoms, and found alcohol in her system.

Mr Bakley concluded Ms Cowdery died from the toxic effects of propranolol in which her intentions were unclear.

A separate inquest also heard at Pontypridd Coroner’s Court on Wednesday found her stepbrother Mr Llewellyn died of natural causes.

His father Keith, from Caerau, said Mr his son – who himself had a young son – was someone who “loved life too much”.

Dai Llewellyn was born in Tondu and was living in a bedsit in Bridgend, at the time of his death after recently being released from HM Prison Cardiff.

His father had said previously: “Dai was troubled. He had low esteem of himself – he was troubled.

“But he was brought up to have a lot of care for people in his life.

“He always had this insecurity when he left school and certain things happened in his life.”

The inquest heard he had been drinking heavily with his girlfriend Amber Knight on the day he died.

A statement by Ms Knight read to the court said the 25-year-old was a “heavy drinker” and would drink “20 cans a day”.

After visiting various pubs on December 6 Ms Knight and Dai returned to his bedsit where they continued drinking.

Ms Knight said: “He wanted to fall asleep on the bed – he appeared quite drunk.”

She left the room to play video games but when she tried to return there was no response. After “shouting and banging” on the door Ms Knight said she became concerned.

She later fell asleep in a common room and was later awoken to discover her boyfriend had been found dead by emergency services.

Ms Knight previously said: “He was my best friend and my lover and everyone’s heart [is] broken.”

A post-mortem examination concluded a cause of death of sudden and unexpected death in alcohol misuse and Mr Barkley gave a conclusion of natural causes.

Posted Date : May 30, 2018
Ref : Mirror

Copyright © All Myanmar Youths 2018 All right Reserved.          Site Map | About